Episode 10: Kovi Konowiecki, Former Wake Forest Soccer
My guest is Kovi Konowiecki, a professional photographer who is also a former Wake Forest University and professional soccer player. At one point in this episode, we joke about starting a club for former athletes that are now artists... and how small that club might be. It's true! But in today's episode, Kovi presents a truly compelling argument for athletes in the arts. Essentially, intentionally challenging ourselves to be creative and to explore hobbies can help us unlock our deepest professional interests and passions.
In today's episode:
- Learn how creatives like Kovi balance their passion projects with the need for, um, food.
- Discover how to sharpen your internal intuition to help you make difficult decisions.
- See how "distractions" from your sport may actually propel you toward a career.
Here is Kovi's soccer bio from his time at Wake Forest. And here is a feature on the massive Inside Out Wake display that Kovi and his friend made in college. And don't forget Forest Folk, Kovi's photo blog of diversity at Wake. It's still going strong on Tumblr!
Since college, Kovi's been featured in many of photography's most well-known journals and magazines. Here are a handful of the best stories we've found on Kovi's work:
- On the theme of borderlands, in The British Journal of Photography
- On the transition from football to photography, in Stranger Collective
- On his connection to the folks whom he photographs, on Paper Journal
- On his inspirations, on Life Framer
And don't forget Kovi's personal website, where you can see photos from each of his collections and get updates about what he's working on now. Plus, a comprehensive list of the journals he's been in.
Connect With Us
Connect With Kovi